Intranet: CarMax

carmaxworldThe CarMax Intranet was a blank canvas when I joined the Interactive Creative Team, a site consisting of 2 pages, and a weekly news archive, sans branding or templates. Working within the Lotus Notes/Domino environment I designed and developed the CarMax Intranet. This included a site of nearly 100 pages – most hand-coded in HTML, and more than a dozen sub-forms to provide “widgets” for common i.e. menu’s and footers.

This project included meeting and interacting with all levels of Users and Clients, from store Sales Associates to Directors and above. Much of my time was spent helping to educate our Clients about what an Intranet could provide to our Users, and exploring how technology, limited by our standard browser requirements, could best serve our needs. In all I managed a variety of projects including developing single page support for our Accounting department, to highly sensitive projects in coordination with Legal and HR, to time-sensitive pages supporting in-store Sales contests.

features_inworld_fullIn 2014 I worked with our IT department and vendors to stand up a demo site in IBM Websphere to text it’s ability to serve our Associates.

Corporate Website

business corporate website landing pagesBuilding this corporate website involved working closely with the Marketing Director, Marketing support staff, Practice Area leaders, Human Resources team, and managing the activities of our consulting development group. Wearing the project management hat on this project was incredibly satisfying though it was one of my first significant translation projects, working as a liaison between technical and non technical parties. Marking and IT often speak two different languages and their focus tends to be on different key points, being able to speak both languages is a skill I’m particularly proud of.

Being a significant part of the development of this new corporate website, and it’s custom Content Management System (CMS), ensured that throughout the design and development process the needs of our clients and customers were in focus and balanced against every technical decision. This involved analyzing the needs of our clients, our practitioners around the globe, potential new employees, the information the site would hold, and the structure of the information within the database tables. I also spent significant time researching “best practices” of our competitive environmental firms. I had to also assess the technical skill level of the Users who would be interacting with the CMS and doing maintenance on the content which impacted the design of the CMS greatly.

Additionly, I did a lot of backend creative work, selecting and preparing all the media (photos and PDFs) for the site which was a huge task. I also coordinated all the start-up content that was to be published at launch. Once the main project was completed I developed additional corporate micro-sites, including a few foreign language translations, to mirror the format of the main corporate site. I wrote communications about the launch, and provided training guidance on how to use the CMS for staff who required it.

The project was delivered on time and within budget.